Town of Cobalt seeks Town Manager
Cobalt is a northern community named Ontario’s Most Historic Town and a Parks Canada National Historic Site. Cobalt enjoys all the services of larger communities but in a relaxed lifestyle with enhanced telecommunication services that affords options for individuals wanting to relocate.
The Town Manager is the Senior Administrator for the Corporation. This position reports directly to Council, has the overall responsibility, through subordinates, for the general control of the operation of the Town subject to government regulations and statutory requirements in accordance with the Municipal Act, while adhering to Council’s established By-Laws, policies, and mandates. The Manager will provide advice and guidance to Council, direct and develop public policy, and ensure that Council has the clear, comprehensive, and relevant information to make well informed decisions.
- Performs the duties of the Clerk-Treasurer as prescribed in the Statutes of Ontario and as may be prescribed by Council.
- As the senior administrative officer, initiates and maintains relationships with the Federal and Provincial governments, municipal partners, Agencies and Organizations.
- Ensures the policy making process is effectively served with timely and practical suggestions, responding to staff & Council assessments and initiatives, and Federal and Provincial legislation and programs.
- Co-ordinates and directs departments in the preparation of plans and programs to be submitted to Council. Manages the administrative functions, including the supervision of staff and preparation of departmental budgets.
- Provides for policies and procedures to maintain equitable employment practices including collective union bargaining, employee relations, and staff development opportunities. Reviews the municipality’s organizational structure and recommends any changes to Council that would improve effectiveness.
This position requires a professional with demonstrated leadership ability who can maintain an environment that fosters fresh thinking, team building and participative management. The incumbent should be organized, self-motivated, possess strong interpersonal, communication, presentation and public relations skills and be capable of dealing effectively with staff, the public and elected officials.
The ideal candidate will have a post secondary education in Business, Finance, Public Administration or a discipline related to municipal operations. Experience in a related municipal, public or private sector environment with a successful track record working with elected officials and boards is desirable.
Applications can be forwarded to John Hodgson, CMO at
18 Silver Street, P.O. Box 70, Cobalt P0J 1C0
This posting is open until filled.
Download here: Town of Cobalt seeks Town Manager